Sunday 24 January 2010

2000 Westlife: My Love

I've been a tad sniffy about Westlife thus far for their agenda of dressing up the trite in clothes at least five sizes too big, but on 'My Love', they finally strike the balance between overblown and underwhelming and turn in a 'wish I was there' 'Green Green Grass Of Home' re-write, albeit without the downer ending. True, the "So I say a little prayer, and hope my dreams will take me there. Where the skies are blue, to see you once again... my love" doesn't stint on the clichés, but the drab predictably of the lyric is camouflaged by a rousing swell of chorus to provide a frame that dares cynicism instead of inviting it. Because as rich as the production is, at heart 'My Love' is a simple song given just enough paint and polish to show it off at its best. The 'Westlife' banner will be an automatic turn off for many, but give it enough room to make its case and 'My Love' will reward more than it disappoints.


No comments:

Post a Comment