Saturday 30 January 2010

2000 Bob The Builder: Can We Fix It?

Spin off single from BBC TV's popular 'Bob The Builder' children's show, my core feelings toward this largely echo those I set out back on the Teletubbies single, so I'm not going to rehash them here. Where my views diverge are on the specifics; 'Teletubbies Say Eh Oh!' was a happy pill of a single engineered to generate smiles all round whereas, despite a scene setting "aaaahAAAAHH" 'Let's Dance' build up intro, 'Can We Fix It' prescribes more of a mogadon downer via a rickety song jerry built around a disinterested Neil Morrissey vocal. Bob's call and response "Can we fix it/Yes we can" catchphrase is repeated often enough to keep younger ears engaged, but to my more jaded sensibilities this is more functional than fun and is ultimately pretty unmemorable. And probably my biggest disappointment is that the opportunity to reference A Tribe Call Quest's 'Can I Kick It'? is missed and so goes begging. Not that it would have pulled this out of the mire, but it would have at least thrown us older folk a bone or two.



No comments:

Post a Comment