Saturday 23 January 2010

2000 Modjo: Lady (Hear Me Tonight)

More sample driven House music, this time with a track built around the guitar line from Chic's 1982 recording 'Soup For One'. Wise choice really - Nile Rodgers could make a corpse dance so it's never going to want in that respect, but then in adding their own ingredients to the pot, Chic's usual diamond hard sparkle gets muffled by Modjo's phased, bass heavy French House mix that underscores the endless "Lady hear me tonight, cos my feeling is just so right" refrain to strangle innovation with a relentless repetition that moves it not one inch from the foot it steps off on. Yes I know criticising a House track for repetition is like criticising a dog for wagging its tail - after all, it's the nature of both beasts - but 'Lady (Hear Me Tonight)' does nothing to pull in the casual listener or convert a fence-sitter like me either. And that's it's prerogative I guess. But when the main point of interest of what remains actually comes to me second hand, then it's MY prerogative to say I'd sooner get my Chic albums out first as last and leave this on the shelf if it's all the same to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment