Thursday 25 March 2010

2002 Gareth Gates: Anyone Of Us (Stupid Mistake)

Continuing the tag team of reality show number ones, Gates' latest is an original pop ballad cast from the usual 'I'm sorry for cheating on you' mould. At least, I think that's what it's about - Gates is happy to admit a wrist slapping "I've been letting you down, girl I know I've been such a fool. Giving in to temptation when I should've played it cool", but by the chorus he's not up for taking all the blame; "She was kind of exciting, a little crazy I should've known. She must have altered my senses" and, after all, "It can happen to anyone of us, anyone you think of, anyone can fall". Which presumably means that the corollary of him not being able to keep it in his pants is the very real risk that, on the cue of a glance or a smile, she might not be able to keep her knickers on either, an analysis that doesn't exactly suggest he's ready for commitment. Yes, 'Anyone Of Us' is as vague as you like, but it doesn't matter - Gareth is 'new' man enough to admit he's wrong and that's all the audience wants to hear. But it's rather more than I do; "Say you will believe me, I can't take my heart will break" - Gates' whining sincerity is that of a schoolboy apologising for smashing next door's greenhouse with his football and it all goes to make 'Anyone Of Us' a song with all the substance of vapour and one that hangs in the air like mild flatulence, too forceful to be ignored but not stinky enough to clear the room.


No comments:

Post a Comment