Thursday 25 March 2010

2002 Darius: Colourblind

Third number one in a row instant 'success story' courtesy of the 2002 Pop Idol series (Darius was runner up to Will Young), 'Colourblind' at least stands apart from its predecessors in that Darius actually co-wrote it, and co-wrote it before appearing on the show too. Not only that, it fences off its own territory too in that in place of the smooth balladry we've come to expect, at first blush ''Colourblind' has the rugged jags of the American college/alt country scene (I have Counting Crows in mind mainly*). Whilst I'm not presenting that as a ringing endorsement, it does mean that ''Colourblind' has traction enough to stick in my ear after Gareth and Will have slipped straight through and out the other side.

But that's as far as my generosity really - as a song, 'Colourblind' is a one trick pony that equates primary colours with primary emotions with the level of skill and insight worthy of a grade C in GCSE English. "Feeling green, when the jealousy swells and it won't go away and dreams. Feeling yellow, I'm confused inside a little hazy but mellow": Darius wallows in his lyric like a pig in muck, but instead of being half as clever as it thinks it is, 'Colourblind' and its hard laboured metaphor has the grace and charm of a drunk woman tottering around on a single, six inch stiletto. "Nobody warned me about your smile, you're the light. When I close my eyes I'm 'Colourblind" trills the chorus, but I'm none the wiser as to whether Darius thinks this is a good or bad thing. It's not that I demand that a song point its way with large red arrows, but its vagaries adds to the ennui that turns that initially eye catching shiny object into a mould old milkbottle top on closer inspection.


*....and serendipity ahoy, Counting Crows also have a song called 'Colorblind' - it goes
"I am colorblind. Coffee black and egg white. Pull me out from inside. I am ready, I am taffy stuck and tongue tied. Stutter shook and uptight. Pull me out from inside. I am ready, I am fine": nope, no ringing endorsements from me here.


No comments:

Post a Comment